DEPLORABLE SETTLEMENT DUE TO ELECTRONIC WASTE DISCHARGE
Water / Sanitation
Agbogbloshie is a settlement in Accra-Ghana, which has a popular market where most of our foodstuffs from the countryside are sold.
The environment is in a very deplorable state and close by is a huge electronic waste dump-site, where mostly the youth in the area are found searching for what have you. The same youths in trying to get to the bottom of this heap of electronic waste, burn them and the whole area become engulfed in thick poisonous fumes, which l believe is unhealthy to both the youth engaged in this business as well as all those staying around the settlement engaged in all manner of businesses.
So far, nothing much is being done by the authorities even though I am aware that the media has featured it on news a few times, nothing much is been done.
Personally, I think three things need to be done to curtail this looming disaster ahead of us:
(1) Establish a Electric Waste Recycling plant to take care of all the electronic waste dumped in that settlement.
(2) Re-structure the market at that settlement since most of the agricultural produce sold there are all placed on the floor and when it rains, the place get flooded and muddy contaminating all the food products.
(3) Settlement in that vicinity should be given a face-lift to befit abodes for humans
(4) In re-structuring, the drainage should be specifically looked at since no proper drainage are there hence the cause of the flooding when it rains.
(5) All these activities should be able to engage the youth in a useful venture and get them some form of employment.